GBBO Recipe Challenge With Rebecca Honeywell-Ward (Biscuit Game Special)
GBBO recipe challenge time! This week we have Rebecca Honeywell-Ward (Owner of Honeywell Bakes) who takes on the biscuit game challenge with her Scrabble Biscuit Tile recipe.
Name: Rebecca Honeywell-Ward
Occupation: Owner of Honeywell Bakes
Social Media: @honeywellbakes (On Instagram, FB, Pinterest & Twitter)
- How did you get into baking?
My Mum started me off young! One of my favourite memories is making gingerbread men with her.
- How long did the biscuits take from start to finish?
- What’s your favourite thing about the biscuits?
They are fun to make and you can actually use them to play Scrabble.
- What was the hardest thing about making the biscuits?
Cutting them out so small! They are quite simple but we didn’t have a cookie cutter that was the right size, so they were hand cut.
Sugar Cookies (Makes about 30 standard sized biscuits)
200G soft butter
200g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
400g plain flour
250g icing sugar
40ml egg white (about 1 egg)
½ teaspoon glycerine (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla essence, then add egg and beat until well combined. Add flour and mix to form a dough. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Cut little square shapes, place on a baking sheet, and bake for approximately 5-8 minutes until light brown.
- Transfer to a write rack and allow to cool.
- Make the royal icing by combining the egg white and icing sugar (and glycerine if you have it) – the icing should form soft peaks. You can adjust the consistency by adding a little icing sugar if too runny or water if too stiff. Add black food colouring and put into a piping bag or bottle with a writing nozzle.
- Roll out fondant icing on to a surface dusted with icing sugar. Cut out shapes the same size as your biscuits. Brush a little water onto the top of each biscuit, and carefully place the fondant icing on top.
- Using the black royal icing, pipe letters onto each biscuit Scrabble tile, and the corresponding numbers underneath them.
- Allow to dry before playing Scrabble with a cuppa!
Thanks for reading and check back next week for our second GBBO recipe challenge.
For more information on Rebecca and Honeywell Bakes, check out their Website and follow them on Pinterest, Instagram Facebook & Twitter!