Here is my quick and easy way to make homemade vegan mince pies in just 25 minutes. These mince pies make a lovely gift when visiting friends over the festive period. Recipe makes 15 pies. You'll need to plan ahead and get the ready to roll pastry before hand and take it out the fridge/freezer. I keep a pack in the freezer at all times, just incase! The recipe is dairy free, vegan and vegetarian, it does contain gluten.
Just Roll shortcrust pastry, get the two x 250g pack. For this I used 1 slab of 250g. Flour for sprinkling 15 teaspoons of Mincemeat of your choice
12 cup muffin/cupcake tray x 2
Pint glass (Starbucks reusable grande cup is perfect size)
1. Preheat the oven to 200'c or 180'c fan assisted
2. Roll out the pastry to 0.5 - 1 cms (which is at room temperature, as per packet instructions - you will need to get this out the fridge roughly an 30 minutes before you want to use it)
3. Using the glass cut out 15 circles from the pastry and place in the muffin tray. (If the tray is not non-stick, then flour before placing pastry)
4. Place 1 level teaspoon on mincemeat in the centre of each pastry cup. (If you put too much in then the mincemeat will over flow the sides with caramelised sugar and start to burn which is hard to clean and makes the pies messy!)
5. Roll the remaining scraps of pastry out as before, use cookie cutters to make the pastry lids. I used the Alphabet set to spell out "Merry xmas" on one batch, and a friends street name, for visiting a their new home.
6. Place the pies in the oven for 15 minutes, when the edge of the pastry starts to turn golden they are done. Leave to cool before eating. 7. Dust with icing sugar and enjoy with a cup of tea or mulled wine.
Here is the set of Alphabet cookie cutters I used, they can also be used to cut fondant icing. They are available to buy from Baking Time Club here.