How to make a Cake Jar
If you're making a cake for a special occasion and make too much or have left over sponge off-cuts and buttercream from piping bags and mixing bowls. Instead of throwing it out and contributing to the 1.9 million tonnes of food is wasted by the food industry every year in the UK - (FareShare). Turn it into a delicious cake jar.
The following cake jars have been made using left over halloween orange cake sponge, black, white and green buttercream from piping bags, spoonfuls of marmalade and the last of a pack of Halloween sprinkles.
Use an empty glass jar saved from being recycled (I used an old jam jar and a large olive jar!) Ensure the jar and lid are clean and dry, as you don't want your cake jar, tasting of Lime Pickle!
You will need:
- Glass Jar with lid (or a plastic tub)
- Cake Sponge
- Jam or Chocolate Ganache
- Any odd leftovers: Sprinkles, Sweets, Chocolate chips/buttons or shavings, fudge pieces etc
1. Break the cake sponge into large chunks.
2. Place a couple of cake chunks into the jar
3. Add buttercream
4. Then add more cake chunks
5. Now add a spoon of jam or chocolate ganache.
6. Repeat steps 2-5, adding in any edible decorations (Sprinkles, choc, sweets), as you like, until the jar is full.
7. Top with sprinkles, place lid on jar. and ta daaa, you've created your own cake jar using.
Store in the fridge, eat with a spoon or give to a friend.
Let us know if you make your own cake jar, tag us on social media @bakingtimeclub #bakingtimeclub